Online Access to Library Materials: Helpful Tools
Use the proxy bookmarklet with your browser
The proxy server bookmarklet lets you connect to databases and journals without going through the library website.
- If you go to directly to a publisher or organization web page that has access restrictions, this bookmarklet will ask you to log in with your NetID and then pass you through to the resource you were looking for.
- This only works for resources the library subscribes to. (If the library does not subscribe, you can use interlibrary loan to request resources that you need.)
Installing the bookmarklet
Chrome, Firefox, Safari, IE11, and Microsoft Edge
Drag and drop the following link onto your browser favorites or bookmarks bar.
If you see a security alert, click "yes" to confirm that you want to proceed with the installation.
iPhone and iPad
On the iPad, create a bookmark (any page - you can't create one from scratch), save it, then edit it to include only the code below. Give it a name and save it to your Bookmarks Bar.
There are certain databases (that use direct Shibboleth authentication) where this proxy bookmarklet will not work. At present, these databases are:
- Ebook Central (Formerly E-Book Library)
- SWANK Digital Campus
- ACM Digital Library
Feel free to contact us if you have questions about using the bookmarklet.
Enable the "Find It @ UNR" Option in Google Scholar
When searching for articles through Google Scholar, you can enable the Find It @ UNR option. This option will place a link alongside article results that, when clicked, will send the you directly to the full-text of a particular article if it is available either through an open-access or subscription resource.
The best way to understand the use of our link resolver and the Find It @ UNR option is to enable it. Here are instructions on how to do so:
- Navigate to Google Scholar, and click on the link to Settings found in the menu in the upper-left of the browser window.
- Click into Library Links, enter University of Nevada Reno into the text box, and click the Find Library button. Google Scholar should retrieve a list of options
- Select the option that contains Find It @ UNR. Selecting the Open WorldCat option will allow you to link to UNR Libraries catalog holdings through WorldCat if books come up in your Google Scholar results.
- Click the Save button.
- Last Updated: Jan 7, 2019 9:43 AM
- URL: https://guides.library.unr.edu/offcampusaccess
- Print Page