Mining Research: Mining Stock Certificates and Historical Mines
Please keep in mind when researching for your mining stock, claims and historic mines:
- Stocks were often issued for mines or mining companies for which very little information may be obtained because little or no activity actually occurred.
The library staff is not able to determine if there is any value in a stock or a claim.
We regret that we do not have the resources to determine the value. Below is a list of information outlined for you to successfully research this on your own. We will be happy to assist you in the library and suggest the tools you can to use to verify the existence of a mine/mining company.
To start your research you will need the EXACT:
- Name of Company
- Date Issued
- State/County of the incorporation
Then contact the state/county of where it was incorporated. For Nevada, you can contact the Nevada Division of Minerals, BLM, NBMG, or the County. Information on each of these agencies are listed below.
Information on a Historical Nevada mine or mining company may be based on:
- An annual report to the Nevada State Inspector of Mines, if a Nevada mine/stock.
- An article in a publication of that time--but only if the mine was major.
The Goldsheet Mining Directory includes a helpful web page of suggestions for tools to use to research obsolete stock certificates.
Nevada Mining Stocks & Historical Mines
Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology (NBMG) - Mining Records & Documents
Nevada Division of Minerals: search for Mining Stock Certificates and/or Claims
Bureau of Land Management has access to Federal land conveyance records for the Public Land States, including image access to more than five million Federal land title records issued between 1788 and the present.
NDEP's Bureau of Mining Regulation and Reclamation (BMRR). They have a mining records search function, but you have to sign up to access their Document Viewer
Nevada State Library & Archives - Nevada Mining Reports 1893 - 1931 Digital Collection
The Nevada Mineral Industry reference & stacks - Online 1979 - present OR DeLaMare Library: TN 24 .N3 S644 1979- 2007
Historic: Search year before or after the date of the stock certificate to verify existence/activity:
Copper Handbook DeLaMare TN12 .W6 1901-1913
Mineral Resources of the United States (title varies) I 28.37: year - DeLaMare Library.
Review NV section, by country, Metallic and Non-Metallic volumes; mentions primary activity
Nevada File - card file in DeLaMare Library, especially helpful for citations from historical mining resources such as Mining and Scientific Press. Please ask Map Librarian to access card file.
Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology Publications through 1989 - Z6034 .N44 T56 1991 - DeLaMare Library or NBMG online.
Directory of Obsolete Securities HG4961 .D56 1981 - UNR Knowledge Center MARS
Nevada Division of Minerals: Mining Stock Certificates: Mining Stock Certificates
Nevada Historical Society - 775-688-1190 | 1650 N. Virginia Street, Reno NV 89557
Nevada State Archives, Carson City - 775 -684-3310 for pre-1920 incorporation information
Nevada Secretary of State - 775-684-5708 Business Center for mine company incorporation information for mines active 1920's - present: fee-based service
Nevada State Mineralogist Annual Reports 1866-1878 publications vary in format and locations among the University Libraries.
STATES OTHER THAN NEVADA
- California: Consolidated Index of Publications, 1880-1943. Bulletin 131
- Publications of the California Division of Mines to July 1961.
- Especially note reports in the Report of the State Mineralogist/Geologists QE89 .A2
- Review by mine name and county.
- To locate other state incorporating information both historic and contemporary: GOLDSHEET
- U.S. Bureau of Mines Mineral Resources of the United States and earlier titles I. 28.37: year
- U. S. Geological Survey Minerals Yearbook - contemporary I19.165:year Review by state and county, Metallic and Non-Metallic volumes; mentions primary activity
- International mining manual/American mining and metallurgical manual - DeLaMare Library TN1 .I62 1909, 1911, 1930, 1932
Canada and Foreign Stocks
CANADIAN and FOREIGN STOCKS
- Canadian Mines Handbook. Latest in DeLaMare Library - HD 9506 .C22 C36
- Stock Research Information, Canadian Consulate, 1251 Avenue of the Americas, NY, NY 10020
- Canadian mines register of dormant and defunct companies DeLaMare Library HD9506 C22 N6 1960 + 3 supplements